Thursday 8 December 2011

X-mas bullshit...

Whilst perusing facebook at work today I came across this status plastered everywhere:

"Just so everyone knows, I have a CHRISTMAS TREE in my living room (not a holiday tree), my family will be getting CHRISTMAS PRESENTS (not holiday gifts) and we will eat CHRISTMAS DINNER (not a holiday meal), and I will attend a CHRISTMAS PARTY (not a holiday party). I will also very cheerfully wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS! (not... happy holidays). By the way, if you want to have a Happy Hanukah, by all means do, I respect that. If you want to have a Blessed Kwanzaa, I also respect that. I want to have a Merry Christmas, so I ask YOU to respect that!!! "

For some reason this just infuriated me (mostly because in the UK there has never really been a Christmas/holidays issue), I just felt like screaming "I don't give a flying fuck what you celebrate in your own home!" I found the whole thing quite arrogant; the statement that this person would wish me a merry Christmas (a holiday celebrating a religious event I don't believe in) but by no means would say happy holidays yet they ask that I respect their beliefs. The entirety of the post seems to me to say: If you're religious I respect you, if not I don't but I want to seem politically correct and want you to respect me.

I tried not to make a fuss though I did have to remark that the person was actually celebrating the winter solstice; a holiday stolen by the Christian church. What do you think? Am I overreacting or is my anger at this status deserved?

No comments:

Post a Comment